I’ve seen quite a few lists of design trends to watch for in 2013, and several of them really resonate with me. Some appeal to the traditionalist in me, while others are a bit riskier. It will be interesting to see which of these trends get the most attention over the upcoming year or beyond, and which turn out to be more short-lived. Here are the predicted trends I am most excited about!
1. Brass: This is a metal I’ve seen come up on more than one list. This warm, ’70s inspired finish is something I’m already in love with.
2. High Gloss: Nothing compares to the shine and polish of a high gloss lacquer! Lacquered walls really stand out and, when thoughtfully combined with more traditional elements in a room, create an unforgettable look.
3. Art: Selecting just the right piece of art for a client’s space is one of my favorite things about designing. I am always on the look out for an artist whose work appeals to me and fits perfectly with one of my projects. I love that this is a trend for 2013.
4. Antique Furniture: The trend here lies in mixing antique furniture with more modern elements, something I always enjoy doing. In fact, hunting for just the right piece until I find exactly what I’m looking for is so exciting.
5. Embellished Walls: I have long been a fan of custom wall coverings. There are so many amazing options available to suit the needs of nearly any client in nearly any space. From grass cloth and linen to hand painted and beaded, wall coverings are as varied and unique as the spaces they decorate.
6. Lace: If the word lace makes you think of your grandmother’s doilies, think again. Like other old-is-new trends, using lace in unexpected ways can bring a lot of beauty and character to a room. Think of combining it with more contemporary designs or using it in small, non-traditional ways.
Which trends for 2013 are you most excited about?