When designing a beach house, there are important aspects to keep in mind which will influence your choice of materials. Whether the beach house is a second home or the family’s primary residence, no one wants to spend time at the beach dealing with the extra wear, tear, and mess caused by sand, salt water, and the comings and goings of a family on vacation. It is possible to use materials that look great but are easy to maintain, letting you spend time at your beach house without worrying about damage from sand on the floor or damp bathing suits on the sofa.
Ceramic flooring, indoor/outdoor furniture, vinyl products, and other durable, easy-to-clean materials are great options for a beach home. To round out the home’s decor, look for clear glass lighting, simple accent pieces, and great artwork for the perfect “less is more” feel.
It is definitely possible to create a stunning beach house that is carefree and can weather many years of happy use!
1. Modern beach house design. Architect Eduardo Villa.
2. Pinstripe glass tile from Ann Sacks.
3. Van Gregory & Norton Mirror
4. Plexi Base table from Hudson Furniture
6. White painted wood floors enlarge this clean, crisp space. Image via Shop Frankie’s.
7. Tusk Shell “succulent” from the Karen Robertson Collection.
9. Woodstock Pendant by Simon Pearce
10. Massimo Vitali